Andrew Gabriel

Default Electrical work for business

In article ,
"Sparks" writes:
Greetings!

I am not a qualified electrician, if I was to undertake simple electrical
work for a business, as long as it is done correctly, would there be a
problem with this?

It's a question of competency. The workplace employer has a duty
to ensure only competent people work on the installation. There
is no definition of competency, so you need to be sure you can
defend your competency level in court (or more strictly, the
workplace employer does). Obviously, you would be very well
advised to make sure you have appropriate professional indemnity
insurance cover.

The employer I was working for when PAT testing and some other
legislation came in during the early 1990's decided they would
only emply NICEIC staff. After a couple of years of poor quality
work from all the NICEIC contractors, we changed the rules to
require contractors to bring relevant C&G qualifications along
on their first day on site. Most of the NICEIC companies could
not supply suitably qualified staff and we ended up using small
independant contractors, and got much higher quality work.

So it's really down the workplace employer to decide. There's
no legislation requiring particular qualifications or membership
in order to undertake electrical work for a business.

--
Andrew Gabriel