Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default toilet leak

Peter wrote:

On 11/21/2020 7:18 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/21/20 5:13 PM, badgolferman wrote:
Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 11/21/20 4:47 PM, badgolferman wrote:
wrote:

On 11/21/20 5:03 PM, badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

One of our toilets has a slight leak into the bowl.* The
bathroom is attached to the bedroom so during the night
I hear the tank fill itself back up very quickly.* I
have swapped flappers with the other toilet and even
bought two new flappers.* The first flapper was a Korky
but my plumber friend said it was for other model
toilets and I needed a Universal type Korky for the
Universal - Rundle toilet in question.* The toilet
still leaks despite the new flapper. Do I need to
replace the flush valve now?* If so what do you
suggest?* Any gotchas to be wary of?

I received a suggestion to shut off the water and let all
the water out except for what remains, then put food
coloring in the tank.* That trick confirmed water was
leaking past the seal to tank of the flush valve when the
colored water showed up in the toilet.* I bought a new
Fluidmaster Universal flush valve and installed that.* It
comes with its own flapper.

The problem remains.* It still leaks exactly the same as
before.* It looks like it's leaking through/below the
front of the the flush valve seal.* I also noticed
bubbles clinging to the front of the valve.* I have taken
some pictures which you can view below.* I didn't see any
cracks in the tank or anything else.* Any suggestions
welcome.

https://ibb.co/Kxf0VTZ
https://ibb.co/cX2sxw5
https://ibb.co/TMBtspj
https://ibb.co/KwPQtmh
https://ibb.co/Kj0tZHQ
https://ibb.co/QPvFX7v

Did you also unbolt the tank from the bowl and replace the
separate tank to bowl gasket ??

Like these:
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/toile...l-gaskets.html

I took the tank off the bowl and checked the tank to bowl
gasket, bolts and washers.* They were all fine and supple.*
There is no leak out of the tank onto the floor, only into
the bowl.* How would the tank to bowl gasket cause a leak
into the bowl?* The water has to get past the flush valve to
tank seal.

**** Doesn't that lead you back to the overflow tube?* A crack
in it maybe?

The flush valve assembly and its seal has been replaced.* The
overflow tube is part of that.* Remember that I have let all the
water out of the tank except for what's left below the lip of the
flush valve.* The overflow tube isn't even part of the equation
at this point.

**** The instructions on the last fill valve I changed said to set
the fill level at 1" below the overflow tube height.* Does the leak
stop if you let the tank fill only halfway somehow?* Dump some food
coloring in the tank just to be sure.

I think what the most recent (immediately above) post is suggesting
is that sometimes, the weight of a full tank of water presses the
flapper valve down enough to prevent a leak that otherwise might
occur if there's only an inch or so of water above the flapper valve.
Is the chain between the flush lever and the flapper valve taut or is
there a little bit of slack. Sometimes, there's just enough upward
pull from the chain to cause a very slow leak. Try adjusting the
chain just one link longer and see what happens (unless you've
already tried that without success). As a final thought, I've seen
repair kits that include an add-on flapper valve seat with a strong
but flexible adhesive on the bottom side. Supposedly it can solve a
leak when the only other alternative is to unbolt the tank again and
entirely replace the existing flapper valve seat. Never needed to
try it so I can't report how well it does or doesn't work.

I am thinking of putting a bead of silicone between the flush valve
rubber gasket and the hole of the tank. It must be leaking at that
point.