Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Long telescopic ladders?

On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 00:43:24 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 21/11/2020 21:54, T i m wrote:

Could (and this is back to the $100 question) a 'good' 5m telescopic
ladder give me useable access to a gutter 5m off the ground?

No, you need a ladder longer than 5m to reach 5m unless you intend to
rig your ladders in the same way as Fred Dibnah.

Yes, I know, but that wasn't really the question.

In addition, and as
mentioned previously, for gutter work (clearing gutters) you need a
ladder to extend beyond the gutter level by maybe 0.6m.

According to the official guidance I linked to previously, it
suggested you shouldn't work above the top of the ladder than past
your belly button. So, if I had a standoff and the ladder was directly
below (not underhung) I wouldn't need to go any higher than needed to
be able to see into the gutter and I could then reach what I could see
(whilst keeping my body directly over the ladder).

But yes, if to do that comfortably (including the 70 Deg ladder lean
angle) I needed a 6m ladder, that's what I would get (if I could).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F04dGK1_wYA

Yeah, I used to watch him on the TV / Youtube a lot. ;-)

Cheers, T i m