Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Long telescopic ladders?

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 20:18:22 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 20/11/2020 16:19, T i m wrote:

Price has little to do with quality.

Often, especially these days.

It is determined by the 'what the
market will stand' principle.

Often (especially these days) but not always.

Always when there are shareholders.

Only the mercenary ones that seem feature in your world.

No-one is going to stand up in a
board meeting and advocate a policy that reduces profits.

It depends why the profits might become reduced. There are many modern
/ progressive companies who have shareholders specifically because of
their green or human rights considerations.

People will always charge what they can get.

'Some people' might, others have morals / ethics and be happy to
provide (good) value for money.

I'm talking about businesses.

As am I.

The only ethic is, 'maximise profits'.

See above, 'in your world'.

I have probably done hundreds of jobs in my time for others where I
could very easily have charged (and was generally offered) money to do
so but refused, preferring to work on the 'What goes round, comes
round' idea.

That's not that I couldn't have made use of the extra cash of course,
but as long as I could live reasonably comfortably that was all I
*needed*.

Ah now, leaving aside my point below, some people have the attitude that
you display, whist others think, "There might be a rainy day ahead. I
need to maximise my income and save."

Yup, and there is nothing wrong with that ... and it can be done
whilst not fleecing anyone.

When my wife became gravely ill I
was 62 and planned to retire at 66 or 67. But because I'd grabbed at
every cent for years I was able to retire and look after her.

That worked out well for you both then at least.

So, I'd get called out by an elderly neighbour because their TV /
video had 'gone wrong' and I'd pop along (often there and then) and
sort it out for them (for nowt).

That's what being a good neighbour is all about eh?

Yes of course, but you're confusing 'society' with 'business'.

I'm not. I never volunteered for overtime or any extra work because I
valued my home / personal life. I wasn't / am-not unique in that.
However, if it was required that I work long / late I would but I
generally swapped that extra time for time off.

For some people, *and businesses* money isn't the most important
thing. Of course it *is* important, in that they need to cover their
costs, pay wages and invest in their future, it'd just many have good
ethics as well.

Cheers, T i m