Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default toilet leak

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 22:03:16 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

badgolferman wrote:

One of our toilets has a slight leak into the bowl. The bathroom is
attached to the bedroom so during the night I hear the tank fill
itself back up very quickly. I have swapped flappers with the other
toilet and even bought two new flappers. The first flapper was a
Korky but my plumber friend said it was for other model toilets and I
needed a Universal type Korky for the Universal - Rundle toilet in
question. The toilet still leaks despite the new flapper. Do I need
to replace the flush valve now? If so what do you suggest? Any
gotchas to be wary of?

I received a suggestion to shut off the water and let all the water out
except for what remains, then put food coloring in the tank. That
trick confirmed water was leaking past the seal to tank of the flush
valve when the colored water showed up in the toilet. I bought a new
Fluidmaster Universal flush valve and installed that. It comes with
its own flapper.

The problem remains. It still leaks exactly the same as before. It
looks like it's leaking through/below the front of the the flush valve
seal. I also noticed bubbles clinging to the front of the valve. I
have taken some pictures which you can view below. I didn't see any
cracks in the tank or anything else. Any suggestions welcome.

https://ibb.co/Kxf0VTZ
https://ibb.co/cX2sxw5
https://ibb.co/TMBtspj
https://ibb.co/KwPQtmh
https://ibb.co/Kj0tZHQ
https://ibb.co/QPvFX7v

I am assuming you only replaced the fluidmaster and the flapper - not
the flapper seat and the standpipe? If so check the seat the flapper
seals to and make sure it is clean and smooth. Also make sure the
level is set properly on the fluidmaster so no water flows into the
standpipefrom the tank

If the gasket between the seat and the tank is bad the tank has to
come off and the seat, standbipe, and gasket will all need to be
replaced. I've found USUALLY just giving the seat a good rub-down with
a scotchbrite pad and a bit of CLR solves the problem