Posted to alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder Arlen   Holder is offline

Default toilet leak

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 19:34:29 -0500, wrote:

I believe they all have "lifetime warranties" where I'd love to know if
you, or anyone else, has ever bothered to take them up on their bluff.

Kohler worked with me on the one piece I had and sent me a new
flapper. They are also the ones who told me the link you use on the
flapper chain is critical. One off in either direction will fail.

Hi gfretwell,

Thank you for your purposefully helpful post for badgolferman, where the
signal to noise ratio on this newsgroup is overwhelmingly spam & trolls, so
I only happened to see this when I was looking it up for badgolferman
(where I generally converse with badgolferman on the Apple newsgroups where
he knows me to be honest, open, detailed, and always up front with facts,
like you seem to always be).

Sometimes I have good experiences with warranties for home items, e.g.,
Fiskars is great - you just send them a photo & they send you a replacement
https://www.fiskars.eu/Support/product-warranties

But some outfits require you to send in the item for them to inspect it,
which seems fair enough, but which ends up meaning the warranty is
worthless for items which cost almost as much to ship as to replace.

Did Kohler require you to send in the old flapper valves?
o Or just a photo of them?

I think I have about a dozen somewhere in a box, all worthless to me.
--
PS: One plumber told me to NOT get the red ones because, he said, the black
ones deteriorate just as fast, but they leave black smudge all over, sort