Posted to uk.d-i-y
Radio Man Radio Man is offline

Default Long telescopic ladders?

T i m wrote:
(I'm re-sending this because whist Agent says it has been sent, I
can't see it on the ng. Sorry if it's a duplicate).

I would like to be able to get up to the gutters / soffits on this two
story Victorian cottage and don't currently have a suitable ladder.

This wouldn't be for any extended work, just replacing the lamp in
floodlight that covers the back garden or removing debris from the
gutters etc.

I like the idea of the telescopic ladders from a storage / portability
POV but I have only ever footed a 3.2m one but I'm assuming I'd be
looking at something quite a bit longer to reach such heights
(probably 5+m)?

It looks like I can do those sorts of things I need with a ladder from
the guidance he

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg455.pdf

... and I would be able to secure the ladder appropriately so the
question is really around the practicability feasibility of telescopic
ladders of that sort of length? I'm guessing they wouldn't make them
if no one bought them and from the specs I've seen they could easily
support my weight etc ('ladder max load 150kg' etc).

I really wouldn't be using such regularly but would just like to be
able to myself if required (or send tree climbing daughter up there
whilst I foot it etc). ;-)

What does the panel think, advice on makes / models etc please?

Cheers, T i m

First time I saw one was perhaps 20 years back when I had a survey done on
a place I was looking at buying and the surveyor produced one from the back
of his car. I was very worried at first in case it collapsed he was on the
heavy side and I doubt I could lift him up. But it took his weight and I
asked to try it. It was very steady it had a bar at the bottom increasing
the footprint to about double width. His extended and folded in the middle
so you could have a long ladder or a set of steps. Since then Ive seen
several surveyors with then. Aldi had one on offer recently for about £80.
Personally unless I needed something telescopic I would avoid but I
suspect they are safe unless you are really heavy. Certainly a lady would
probably be ok as they tend to be lighter. Go for on with the bar /
extended foot thing for stability.