Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Re-celling a NiCd drill battery

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
You can also get adaptors that will let you fit the modern LiIon packs
onto the old drills although you need to be careful to not run the packs
too low since the old drills don't have any smarts to communicate with
the battery management system in the new batts - so you run a higher
risk of bricking a battery.

On my Lidl stuff, I'm fairly certain that protection is in the battery,
not drill?

There will usually be a BMS in the pack on any respectable battery,
however some also communicate with the device - perhaps allowing the BMS
to instruct the tool to shut off or passing thermal data from the tool
to the batt (this is conjecture - I have not studied what passes on the
additional pinouts on the batteries)

--
Cheers,

John.