Posted to alt.home.repair
\[email protected] \Retired@Home.com is offline

Default toilet leak

On 11/18/20 4:29 PM, badgolferman wrote:
wrote:

On 11/18/20 12:32 PM, badgolferman wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/18/2020 11:21 AM, badgolferman wrote:
One of our toilets has a slight leak into the bowl. The
bathroom is attached to the bedroom so during the night I hear
the tank fill itself back up very quickly. I have swapped
flappers with the other toilet and even bought two new
flappers. The first flapper was a Korky but my plumber friend
said it was for other model toilets and I needed a Universal
type Korky for the Universal - Rundle toilet in question. The
toilet still leaks despite the new flapper. *Do I need to
replace the flush valve now?* If so what do you suggest? Any
gotchas to be wary of?

Did you put in the right flapper? Did you check that is is
seating properly? There could be some buildup not allowing it to
properly seal when it goes down. There should also be a little
slack in the chain when closed too.

As far as I can tell the flapper is correct, at least according to
my plumber friend. He sent me a picture of the Korky Universal
2001CM flapper. And yes, I took the scratchy side of a sponge and
wiped the lip of the valve seat real good to get any crud off it.
It feels smooth to me. There is about half inch slack in the chain.

The leaking refill flush valve would not cause your problem of
intermittent refills. It would cause overfilling, with water running
down the overflow tube, and no need for a "refill".

If your convinced the new flapper is sealing OK, you could test for a
leak in the tank-to-bowl seal. 1. Shutoff the cold water line valve.
2. Flush the toilet normally
3. Some water should remain in tank up to the lip of the flapper seal.
4. Add a small bottle of red food coloring to the water in tank.
5. Wait awhile to see if red water shows up in bowl.

Good Luck...

I believe you have pointed me in the right direction. Indeed there was
colored water in the bowl after trying the above method.

Now I will need a new bowl seal, bolts and seals. Do you think the
ones at the box store are sufficient for my Universal-Rundle or should
I go to a plumbing store?

Thanks!

Personally I always get these types of items from ACE Hardware. A nearby
plumbing store would be next choice.

Good to hear you found the source :-)