Posted to alt.home.repair
badgolferman badgolferman is offline

Default toilet leak

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/18/2020 11:21 AM, badgolferman wrote:
One of our toilets has a slight leak into the bowl. The bathroom is
attached to the bedroom so during the night I hear the tank fill
itself back up very quickly. I have swapped flappers with the
other toilet and even bought two new flappers. The first flapper
was a Korky but my plumber friend said it was for other model
toilets and I needed a Universal type Korky for the Universal -
Rundle toilet in question. The toilet still leaks despite the new
flapper. Do I need to replace the flush valve now? If so what do
you suggest? Any gotchas to be wary of?

Did you put in the right flapper? Did you check that is is seating
properly? There could be some buildup not allowing it to properly
seal when it goes down. There should also be a little slack in the
chain when closed too.

As far as I can tell the flapper is correct, at least according to my
plumber friend. He sent me a picture of the Korky Universal 2001CM
flapper. And yes, I took the scratchy side of a sponge and wiped the
lip of the valve seat real good to get any crud off it. It feels
smooth to me. There is about half inch slack in the chain.