View Single Post
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Re-celling a NiCd drill battery

On 18/11/2020 13:06, Lobster wrote:
On Tuesday, 17 November 2020 at 21:39:04 UTC, newshound wrote:
On 17/11/2020 20:14, Lobster wrote:
I'm wanting to re-cell my old cordless Makita 8390D drill - at least one of the three power packs, maybe more.... I'm aware that finding decent quality cells to replace the originals is a complete jungle, so I'm wondering if anyone who's done this before can recommend a good supplier of decent kit please?

Part 2 of the question is that the original power packs are NiCd. The OEM charger (a DC1804T) states that it's good for both NiMH and NiCd: so does that mean I can buy NiMH cells and simply swap those out for the existing duff NiCd items? Or will there be electronickery inside the power packs that I would need to contend with, and should therefore stick with NiCd?

Is it worth it? Third party NiMH packs are available for my old Maks at
half the price of OEM. Ebay, in spite of the dodgy name "Floureon" have
been fine for me.

Thanks all very much for all the pointers - definitely very enlightening. I've just been researching cells at CPC/batteriesplus and agree - that would be an expensive route... I've also just opened up my bricked power pack and it looks like it would be a right ball-ache to replace the daisy chain of 13 cells in there too, so I'm binning that idea! Especially as I didn't actually realise you could buy aftermarket power packs....

Two of my power packs are still just about serviceable, and especially so if I replace my third one with a new item, so I reckon that's the way forward for now at least. Ebay throws up loads of them starting at 17 GBP delivered:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...at= 0&_sop=15
There's no way of ascertaining quality so I guess I'll just take a chance? Have to say I've had bad experiences in the past buying mobile phone and laptop batteries that way. Can't see any evidence of 'Floureon' unfortunately!!

The old Makita stuff is just so well built, there's no excuse to replace
them. With the NiMH replacements they just go on and on.