Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Re-celling a NiCd drill battery

On 17/11/2020 20:14, Lobster wrote:
Hi all
To those that recognise me - long time no see, it's been a while!!

I'm wanting to re-cell my old cordless Makita 8390D drill - at least one of the three power packs, maybe more.... I'm aware that finding decent quality cells to replace the originals is a complete jungle, so I'm wondering if anyone who's done this before can recommend a good supplier of decent kit please?

Part 2 of the question is that the original power packs are NiCd. The OEM charger (a DC1804T) states that it's good for both NiMH and NiCd: so does that mean I can buy NiMH cells and simply swap those out for the existing duff NiCd items? Or will there be electronickery inside the power packs that I would need to contend with, and should therefore stick with NiCd?

Thanks a lot for any pointers

Is it worth it? Third party NiMH packs are available for my old Maks at
half the price of OEM. Ebay, in spite of the dodgy name "Floureon" have
been fine for me.