Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Walliker John Walliker is offline

Default Encapsulated loft insulation

On Monday, 16 November 2020 at 11:46:04 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/11/2020 09:30, Theo wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
There is a Knauff product called Eko roll - made from recycled materials
but treated in such a way that its soft and non irritating to handle,
and does not make any fine floating fibre dust. Its not an encapsulated
product though.

Thanks. I saw that (seems to be the new thing the sheds are touting) but I
can't seem to find a datasheet for it anywhere. B&Q/Tradepoint links to a
minimalist Declaration of (fire) Performance that admits 'Wickes Loft Roll
Combi Cut', 'Eko Roll' and 'Space Combi' are all the same thing, but they're
also shed-only brands with no information.

I assumed fibreglass, glassfibre, glass wool,

Those are one class of product...
mineral wool, Earthwool and Rockwool

and those a distinct separate one IIUC.

Then there is another class of products that has additional sound
deadening properties.
(trade names) were all the same thing, or are there differences in
composition between the brands?

There seems to be a different "binders" used to stick them together, I
expect the various shed brands like the Eko wool all are variations of:

https://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/wh...ose-technology

(I used the B&Q one when I did my bathrooms a couple of years back -
there was an area of ceiling void that was uninsulated, so I picked up a
couple of rolls of the Eko roll. It was definitely noticeable that it
was much much nicer to handle than normal glass wool)

I laid a few rolls of this (the 170mm thick variety which comes with partially cut
widths for 400 or 600mm joist spacing) recently wearing gloves and a facemask
but with bare arms which occasionally came into contact with it. I was pleasantly
surprised not to have any itching afterwards. There was very little airborne dust.

John