Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Encapsulated loft insulation

On 15/11/2020 22:35, Theo wrote:
I'm looking for fibreglass loft insulation that comes wrapped in a plastic
wrapper, to prevent the installer having to handle the fibreglass. This is
for two reasons: one is the loft is very awkward to work in, so it's hard
not to come into contact with the insulation, and the second is the cat
likes to go in there if somebody left it open, and she then licks all the
fibres off herself

Although not ideal for the cat IMO rockwool is a lot better than
fibreglass. You can also get real wool insulation but more expensive
and you need a thicker layer.

The popular brand is Knauf 'Space Blanket' which is only sold in the sheds,
but nobody seems to have any stock of that (Wickes has a few rolls in random
stores but not for delivery, and at 3x the price of un-encapsulated).

Most of the insulation in my loft is rockwool but where I laid down some
boards to give access to water tanks and TV distribution boxes I have
some Space Blanket insulation on top of the boards which can be easily
moved to one side when I need to go into the loft. From memory, it was
around x2 to x3 the price of un-encapsulated even in "more normal" times
(per unit area/thickness) I doubt of the metallised layer adds anything
to the effectiveness of the insulation