Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Mark is offline

Default Car electrics question

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 15:32:09 -0000, "Mark" wrote:

snip

You wouldn't want a 1300, 1300GT or 1600 (Kent) engine for your 1100
would you? ;-)

I bought an RS1600BDA engine soon after I bought the car in 84
but then decided the car was too original to mess with,

Yeah, it is quite a thing, going from 'original to 'not' for all sorts
of reasons / people.

was going to find
another MK1 to use the engine but never got around to it

And probably too late now, if you were looking for something 'cheap'
as a project.

I sold the engine about 18 months ago and got around 700 times what I paid
for it

Wow.

the only thing I have changed on the escort which originally had drum
brakes
all round is new struts with disc brakes

You didn't say if it was on the road or registered under 'Historic'
but that even allows for things like that (to improve safety or
ecology).

a girling remote servo and a master
cylinder which holds more then the original egg cup full of brake fluid
photo

;-)

https://i.vgy.me/pDYR6U.jpg

Very clean!

A lad at work inherited his Dads MGB GT and I believe spent much more
than it was worth (at the time) having it restored.

my wife wanted a MGB GT in the 80s I looked at loads which were rust buckets
or stupidly overpriced so bought the 924 (which I still have) for much less
then the cheapest rusty MG
it would not start at all once Hot the owner had spend more then I paid for
it on new Porsche ign and fuel parts and garage charges.
It was a simple fix and not elec or fuel related
it was totally reliable for the next 8 years that she used it
The 924 is a much underappreciated car but so much better then an MGB in
every way

-