Default 110 vs 220 VAC air conditioner

clifto wrote:

IE An air conditioner consuming 10 amps at 120 volts consumes 1,200 watts.

Only if the power factor is 1.0.

...and the resistance of all the wires and connections between the
electric meter and the air conditioner is zero (which it obviously
isn't).

If the AC consumed 10 amps at 120 V with a power factor of 1,
it would "consume" 1200 W, no matter how much the wires "consume."
Then again, a watt is just a rate of energy flow, so it can't be "consumed."

5 amps x 1 ohm = 5 watts per unit time wasted in wiring
10 amps x 1 ohm = 10 watts per unit time wasted in wiring

As in "watts per hour," like miles per hour per hour? :-)

As in "I have to go to the store now. It's 3 miles per hour
from here. On the way, I'll be driving 30 miles per hour per hour." :-)
That's a slow drag. You'd arrive at a speed of sqrt(2x3x30) = 13.4 mph...
Does everyone in your cargo cult talk like this? :-)

TURTLE wrote:

If a Motor has a Name Tag estimated Amp draw of 5 amps per hour...

Jeez. Have you ever seen a name tag that specifies "amps per hour"? :-)

It's just amps. A coulomb is an amount of charge, eg a quantity of
electrons. Amps are coulombs per second. Amps per hour would be
"coulombs per second per hour," which makes less sense than
miles per hour per hour, in this context.

Nick