Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Car electrics question

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 13:30:03 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

The Austin 7 (Ruby) we had in the 60s used a lot of oil. But the bearings
seemed OK. Bought an engine from a scrap yard for £3 with the bearings
shot. The Austin engine had a separate block and crankcase, so made one
out of the two. Worked just fine.

Cool ... and you never know what you can do / achieve till you try.
;-)

We were at that age when everything was possible. ;-)

It always amazes me how many people seem to err opposite to that
though (not here of course), even things that were simple and not
dangerous, like car electrics?

It seems that even applies to many (adult / male) workers where it's
usually daughter re-wiring trailer plugs when they get ripped off,
re-assembling more complicated machinery or building display furniture
and decorating the sets when she worked for a Co that sold such stuff
but she worked in the cash office?

Ok, maybe she was unusual in that I saw her as 'a child' and not 'my
daughter' and so she 'helped' her Dad and I encouraged her to do / try
any stuff that I was doing and knew that she should also be able to do
(reasonably safely, managing risk is also a good lesson).

Given the superficial involvement many adults seem to have in anything
'practical' these days, I guess it's not surprising that many kids
don't know where to start.

Thank goodness for Youtube. ;-)

Cheers, T i m