Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Elec chainsaw question

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 10:56:18 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

snippage throughout

I actually moved her climbing gear bag yesterday and I can assure you
there are no mechanical ascenders (or spikes) in there.

So how does she get from the ground 60ft up the branchless trunk of
a tree ?

I think you are confusing 'tree' with 'telegraph pole' mate?

I drilled a hole in a golfball through which I threaded thin cord
and threw that up in the tree. I assume that must have been my "throw
line".

Yup. Not so nice when it hits you on the head as a traditional 'throw
bag' but it would work.

Anything other than a round ball can snag in the branches,

So I wonder what they don't sell golf balls with holes drilled though
them for weights on throw lines then, and supply a bean bag instead?

and you'd have
to be pretty stupid not to notice where the ball actually went.

No, it should be on the end of your line, now wrapped 5 times round a
branch and locked in place.

Yup, and on the way down chogging, a wire strop / flipline (plus
mainline) ...

Chogging ? Another technical term ?

Yup, more Googling for *you*. ;-)

Is that repeling or absailing?

Neither. It's the taking down of the trunk in sections as you climb
down.

Who said anything about taking down trees ?

I did, when I described the descending (keep up).

The topic was climbing up them and coming back down.

And do you think they would climb down without chogging the tree down
with them? Keep up.

Or more specifically in this case how your daughter mangages
to get from the ground to 60ft up a branchless trunk without
the use of ascenders of any kind or spikes.

See above. If it was a real tree not telegraph pole, using a throw
line or ladder to get into the lower branches then climbing (as in
kids tree climbing).

Well yes to descend you er use descenders.

Or your Prusik ...

Have you actually ever used one ? Has your daughter ?

What do you think? No, belay that, you don't 'think' do you, you just
assume and guess and build up a (bogus) picture in your own (closed)
mind. ;-(

At least apart from "training excercises"

See above. What part of being trained at an Arb College and working
for several arb Co's (where she was often the climber) did you miss?

If so I'd be interested to know what advantages you found as
against using mechanical descenders.

Convenience and cost. You can make a Prusik loop yourself if you need
/ want to.

You also have what I call
a safety rope which I do use attached to a harness back and front
again running through a friction brake

All sounds very complicated. Are you sure you aren't talking about
rock climbing?

You can just as much damage to yourself falling 30 ft out of a tree
as you can falling off a rockface.

Of course? And? How many people need to climb rock faces regularly for
their jobs, other than mountain rescue / RSPB etc and have you never
heard or free climbing?

When climbing a tree for your job 'of course' you would clip yourself
in a regular intervals but there could be times when you are say
descending out of a tree you may have thinned, shaped, pollarded or
done crownwork on, where you are descending from the lower limbs just
on your one climbing line.

Didn't your daughter explain all
that to you ?

Didn't need to mate, a fear of heights and loud noises are built into
most people so don't need 'explaining'.

The difference between you and I are that I've been involved in all
this from a professional POV and you haven't. ;-(

Please stop digging.

Cheers, T i m