Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Elec chainsaw question

"T i m" wrote in message

snippage throughout

I actually moved her climbing gear bag yesterday and I can assure you
there are no mechanical ascenders (or spikes) in there.

So how does she get from the ground 60ft up the branchless trunk of
a tree ?

I drilled a hole in a golfball through which I threaded thin cord
and threw that up in the tree. I assume that must have been my "throw
line".

Yup. Not so nice when it hits you on the head as a traditional 'throw
bag' but it would work.

Anything other than a round ball can snag in the branches, and you'd have
to be pretty stupid not to notice where the ball actually went.

Yup, and on the way down chogging, a wire strop / flipline (plus
mainline) ...

Chogging ? Another technical term ?

Yup, more Googling for *you*. ;-)

Is that repeling or absailing?

Neither. It's the taking down of the trunk in sections as you climb
down.

Who said anything about taking down trees ?

The topic was climbing up them and coming back down.

Or more specifically in this case how your daughter mangages
to get from the ground to 60ft up a branchless trunk without
the use of ascenders of any kind or spikes.

Well yes to descend you er use descenders.

Or your Prusik ...

Have you actually ever used one ? Has your daughter ?
At least apart from "training excercises"

If so I'd be interested to know what advantages you found as
against using mechanical descenders.

You also have what I call
a safety rope which I do use attached to a harness back and front
again running through a friction brake

All sounds very complicated. Are you sure you aren't talking about
rock climbing?

You can just as much damage to yourself falling 30 ft out of a tree
as you can falling off a rockface. Didn't your daughter explain all
that to you ?

michael adams