Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Elec chainsaw question

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 17:44:34 -0000, "michael adams"
wrote:

snip

All real arborists will be secured by ropes from above and wouldn't
be seen dead, anywhere near a ladder.

Well, you can save yourself some time over the first bit on a ladder
if you want. ;-)

Er no. Its much easier for the arborist to put his/her feet through
the loops of the foot ascender sometimes called a knee descender as
the ratchet is at knee height, at ground level. And just as quick as
their upward steps are the size they want rather than being dictated
by the distance between the rungs of the ladder.

That's assuming a ladder is a possibility in the first place. With amateur
grown trees as are found in people's back gardens, with branches low down
maybe. But in all large trees in public places lining roads, in parks etc.
all the lower branches will have been removed at an early stage to avoid
obstruction and save the council getting sued by people banging their
heads. Possibly you hadn't noticed ?

Either literally or metaphorically.

;-)

You throw a rope between an overhead branch and the trunk and climb up the
secured rope, using one or more pairs of ascenders. Ratcheted devices
for feet and hands.

No, a 'real climber' would be using a ' Prusik' that they have made
themselves (and a cambium saver they had put up there with their throw
line if the tree wasn't being taken down). ;-)

I drilled a hole in a golfball through which I threaded thin cord
and threw that up in the tree. I assume that must have been my "throw
line". As many ropes as required may be attached to that.
Which is something I do use all the time. Throw the ball anyway.
Obviously you've been googling but maybe not hard enough. "prusiks"
are very basic friction brake devices made by winding rope around the
rope. Real climbers would be spending hundreds on decent anodised
purple and green ascenders and descenders out of catalogues.

Yup, and on the way down chogging, a wire strop / flipline (plus
mainline) ...

Chogging ? Another technical term ? Is that repeling or absailing?
Wire strop, flipline, mainline ? Have you been googling all
this stuff ?

Well yes to descend you er use descenders. You also have what I call
a safety rope which I do use attached to a harness back and front
again running through a friction brake although obviously yourself
and google will know the proper names for all this stuff.

michael adams