Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Elec chainsaw question

ss wrote:
On 12/11/2020 23:07, T i m wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your description

I will try and clarify.
Chain travels in a loop.
up one side and down the other,
So one side is travelling away from me the other towards me.
Does it matter if I cut from either side of the `loop`.

https://imgur.com/sdj1TTe

----------------
bar \
/
---------------- The chain pulls the log up
\ / \ === against the teeth, and gives
/ | log | a degree of control. There is
\ \ / less tendency to rotate if the
/ work is pinned against the teeth.

Whereas doing it like this is more dangerous.

----------------
bar \
/
----------------
\ / \
/ | log |
\ \ /
/

There was at one time, a website with a picture
of the human body, showing the most and least popular
places to inflict injury with a chainsaw. The right
side of the body was more affected, suggesting there
are more right-handed people in the world. The purpose
of assembling pictures like that from the available
data, is to keep you aware that a chainsaw is a
*dangerous* tool. The chain is just as sharp on
an electric chainsaw.

To do horizontal cuts (bring down a portion of a
tree trunk), you use the three cut method. But you
practices on some 4" logs, making vertical cuts, until
you are used to using the chainsaw. Don't start your
first project, felling a tree trunk. You want to use
the saw, so that the gravity feed oil supply continues
to lubricate the bar.

3 --------- --------- 2
\__ remove wedge of wood, defines fall line
\__ and do remove the wedge so there
\__ 1 is air showing here.

You should only use the three-cut method if the trunk
is sound. If the trunk is rotten, you could make your
first cut... and have the trunk fall on you, or jam
the bar.

Professional tree fellers use a team, and three staff
operate ropes to pull some of the materials away from
the house. *Do not* wrap pull ropes around your hand
or your wrist, if you're on the team pulling on those
ropes. If you lose control while working a cut, let the
rope go before it burns you. I've seen people pulled
through the brush by a pull rope. With a big tree, you
can be pulled 20 feet by your rope. You don't want that
to happen. While using the saw is dangerous,
being a drunken fool pulling on the rope is
just as dangerous if not done correctly.

Paul