Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Bosch PSR 2.4 V, replacement battery.

Erm wrong thread fred!

On 13/11/2020 14:58, fred wrote:

I'M not convinced that a broken chain saw chain would whip around. If
they react anything like a band saw as soon as the blade breaks it
falls away

Band saws are friction driven with a low mass blade - so the moment it
snaps there is no drive - and since it has little mass will stop very
quickly - especially if mid cut.

A chain is sprocket driven, and has more mass - so it will stay engaged
with the sprocket as long as there is load on the tension side. Hence it
may still get driven for a while until it disengages from the sprocket.

. Ive had bandsaw blades break on me and they just rattled
around the body of the saw.I had a chains saw blade jumps off the bar
last week Apart from damaging the blade it caused no problem

Yup, its not usually a problem when the whole chain loses tension like
that IME. (Also modern saws have chain catchers near the return side of
the sprocket to catch and snag a wayward chain).

--
Cheers,

John.