Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Elec chainsaw question

On 12/11/2020 23:48, ss wrote:
On 12/11/2020 23:07, T i m wrote:
I'm not sure I follow your description

I will try and clarify.
Chain travels in a loop.
up one side and down the other,
So one side is travelling away from me the other towards me.
Does it matter if I cut from either side of the `loop`.

https://imgur.com/sdj1TTe

The bit that travels towards you is the lower part of the loop
and that is the one that should be doing the cutting. If the
chain jams and tries to rotate the whole thing back towards
you, the handguard is supposed to lock the chain thus protecting
you from injury. There are *many* fakes on ebay where this
safety mechanism just doesn't work.

Undercutting uses the top part of the blade and if you are
complete beginner, I wouldn't advise it until you are happy that
you are in control.