Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Car electrics question

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:55:34 +0000, wrote:

snip

[1] But have done it before with this car as we had to take the dash,
ECU, BCM, ignition switch and key to get the ECU repaired and to save
having to have it re-coded.

From a bit of web pokery it seems that the steering wheel has to come
off.

I didn't assume that to be the case as once past the old cars where
the steering wheel was just held on with one nut and the horn wire,
air-bags and on0wheel-buttons make wheel removal more complicated and
so they tend to make things like the control stalks semi-circular,
held on with a couple of screws and relatively easy to remove. I think
I changed the wiper switch module on daughters Transit connect and I
think you just released the top cowling and the switch unplugged as a
module. ;-)

Up until about 25 years ago I did most jobs on cars, rebuilt
engines (Spitfire, MGB, Saab900, Stag), built a couple of kit cars,
etcetera but then cars changed and my attitudes changed - the days of
lying in the street with spanners and torch on a Sunday night are long
gone.

Understood (which kitcars did you have OOI?).

In this case, I've not had the need to fiddle with air bag systems
so I think this job might be going to a garage.

Understood ... I think when I had to take all the carpets out of
daughters Corsa to dry it out (after fixing the leak) I had to
disconnect the auto-belt tensioners but was told it was safe to do so
once the battery was disconnected. I think there was some sort of
shock sensor on the 'transmission tunnel' that I had to be careful
with and you would have to know things like radio codes and that some
other things didn't happen if you fully disconnected the battery. But
I wouldn't rate doing it (with the exception of how easy it is to get
the steering wheel off if necessary) at the same level of 'car stuff'
at the same level as the mechanical things you have done previously.
;-)

Cheers, T i m