Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Elec chainsaw question

On 12/11/2020 22:27, ss wrote:
Used for 1st time today although purchased 2 years ago.
If I am holding the chainsaw in front of me with the `chain` pointing
away.Â* So on the righthand side the chain moves away from me, then
coming down the other side the `chain` is moving towards me.
Does it make any difference from a safety point of view which side I cut
with left or right?

My cuts are mostly at waist height and horizontal.

Yes it does.
If you use the moving-away side to cut the saw will tend to push out of
the cut and if it reaches the saw tip the saw will kick out. When
cutting with a vertical blade this can result in a chain in your face.

So it is definitely not recommended. Having said this I've been using my
little petrol saw for 20 years and do it all the time. BUT I have a
profound respect for power tools. After cars, they are probably the most
lethal things people use on a regular basis.