Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default adhesive for stickin metal fire trim to render

On 12/11/2020 22:30, alan_m wrote:
On 12/11/2020 16:07, Chris Holmes wrote:
keke wrote:
Hello! I was wondering did you ever find a solution? I have the same
question now in 2020 and have not had much success so far.
The trim has loosened and come off. Many thanks!

I find epoxy works well for most applications and I would expect it
to work
well here.

Car body filler is cheaper and probably better

Car body filler would stick well to a (rough) render but would it stick
to a smooth piece of metal?

Well that is precisely what it was DESIGNED to do! Cars are generally
made of 'smooth bits of metal'

It is far more likely to rip the surface of the render off.

However if car body filler was used and the
metal surround falls off

It wont.

there would be a smooth car body filler surface
where the metal came away from and sticking the smooth metal to this
smooth surface would be easier with some other form of thin film glue.

My experiment glueing a concrete slab with two part (car body) filler
The final photo shows one side of the slab clamped to the arm of a bench
whilst the other side is loaded with bricks.

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Glue_slab/

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching