Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Elec chainsaw question

On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 22:27:45 +0000, ss wrote:

Used for 1st time today although purchased 2 years ago.
If I am holding the chainsaw in front of me with the `chain` pointing
away. So on the righthand side the chain moves away from me, then
coming down the other side the `chain` is moving towards me.
Does it make any difference from a safety point of view which side I cut
with left or right?

I'm not sure I follow your description but generally the top handle
only goes round one side (left) so you would typically cut
horizontally from right to left with your left hand supporting the saw
by the left side of top / side handle and your right hand on the back
handle / trigger. If the back handle doesn't rotate you may end up
using the trigger with your thumb. I'm not sure if they are set up for
cack handers? ;-)

My cuts are mostly at waist height and horizontal.

I believe you would do most cuts using the bottom of the bar (where it
comes towards you) and the spikes that are normally there to help it
all stay in place are generally more at the bottom than the top.

You might only used the top of the saw for 'snedding' and undercutting
but I wouldn't recommend a novice ever doing either without the right
training and PPE.

I think you also want to stand as far back as you can from the saw but
without overstretching. Keeping away whilst being in full control. You
really don't want to be within reach of the bar or chain if it comes
off the bar.

But please don't take any of the above as a recommendation you just
give it a go. ;-(

Cheers, T i m