Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] nothanks@aolbin.com is offline

Default Car electrics question

On 12/11/2020 17:53, wrote:
The indicator on SWMBO's i20 has started playing-up. Indicating right is
OK but the flasher sometimes ticks at double speed when indicating left
- it's been intermittent for a week or so (never when I'm around) but
now seems to have gone hard. I'd expected to walk around the car and
smugly point-out a dead bulb, but none of the bulbs are working. I'll
check the wiring, earths and bulbs tomorrow but without a wiring diagram
what else can I check?

Light (!) dawns. I'd checked fuses, re-seated relays, etcetera but then
decided to try the indicator switch myself - magically the left
indicators started to work. After more experimentation it seems the
switch lever can be moved slightly too far and the left indicators then
stop working and the ticker goes at double rate, jiggle the lever and
they start working again. Probably it's time for a new indicator switch
but I'll investigate first. Now to find out how much plastic needs to
come out before I can get to the switch.