Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Air source heating

On 12/11/2020 14:36, alan_m wrote:
On 12/11/2020 12:16, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/11/2020 16:05, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 15:34:25 +0000
williamwright wrote:

Anyone had any experience of this?

Bill

No, but this might be helpful:

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/20...rce-heat-pumps

Having just had a read through that, I am rather suspicious of some of
the claims.

+1
Do some of the claims about cost include an allowance for subsidies?

Yup, not clear...

Also no allowance for the capital costs considered.

The prices for energy they quoted also look unrealistic (they did have
the ratio of lekky to gas price about right - but numbers that looked
like they were a decade old - so that would have made the comparisons
come out much "closer" than in reality).

They were also keen to compare against coal fired and resistive electric
heating, but seemed to leave out comparisons to gas / oil.

(I would be surprised if there are that many places with coal fired CH
in the UK!)

I wonder if some of the claims are for areas of the world with a
different climate and have just been "read across" to sell the products
in the UK.

Even the assumption that "renewable" energy is low carbon is a bit of a
stretch for the UK, where the best load factor for wind is under 50%,
and under 25% for solar in the summer (4% in the winter!), so more the
half the time the energy shortfall is being made up by fossil
alternatives generally.

--
Cheers,

John.