Raymond Koonce

Default 110 vs 220 VAC air conditioner

Bob wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:42:54 -0500, "Faustino Dina"
wrote:

Is it true that 110 VAC air conditioners waste more electricity than a 220
VAC unit?

Thanks in advance

Yes - assuming everything else is equal, the 110VAC unit has
approximately double the current flow and thus a greater heat loss in
the wiring.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as I understand it (told by a power
company employee) the speed of the meter spin depends on the leg with
the heaviest current draw. So if you have 60 amps on one leg and 20 on
the other, you pay for the 60 amp leg. Another reason to balance your
loads between legs.