Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Glasses for close-up work?

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 17:08:47 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

snip

I'm interested in these. I have +3.5 and +4 - I got the 4s about 15 years ag
then later wanted another pair and couldn't find 3.5.

Yeah, I found similar when shopping but have just received a
replacement pair of x4's (straight glasses) and they seem better than
what they replaced. They will need a bit of massaging with a file a
heat gun to get them to fit comfortably but writing on a cap that was
not discernable with my daily readers suddenly became crisp and clear
again. ;-)

Now, a lot on Ebay etc. say "3.5" as the top value, so of no use really, but
is that the value of the strongest lens and can the lenses be stacked to go
higher?

I think so yes (I'll be able to confirm that when mine arrive).

With some it seems you have a selection of lenses that you can attach
and another lens that is fixed inside you can flip down to give you a
boost, taking it up to x6 or so?

None of them seem to say and the stronger ones are all spectacle
type.

Agreed, you sometimes have to get lucky and look at all the pictures,
rather than in the description.

I'd prefer headband for that much overhang.

Agreed and what I went for (as recommenced by a couple of respondents
here).

Cheers, T i m