Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default External hard drives...

On 06/11/2020 14:38, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/11/2020 13:10, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:44, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker
way of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s

So you have :
Â*Â*______Â*Â*Â*Â* USBÂ* __Â* USBÂ* ______
|Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

yes...is there any other way ? ....

And are doing a naive physical file copy rather than some sort of
smart backup software with compression?

yes that is why I was asking if there was another quicker way od doing
it.......

Given the setup you are using, using something like Acronis true
image[1] will clone one drive to the other faster than you will be able
to do with a file copy. However the USB2 interface will still limit the
maximum speed.

[1] The trial version will do a drive to drive clone.

(for reference I was cloning some 120GB SSD drives onto new 256GB drives
- one drive on the internal SATA bus in the PC - the new one on a USB to
SATA adaptor. Doing it with the new drive on a USB2 interface was taking
40 mins or so, and on a USB3 interface about 8 mins)

--
Cheers,

John.