Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default External hard drives...

On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

But you haven't been truthful with us.

You're doing file-by-file transfer, and you neglected
to tell us how many gigabytes of files you're transferring.

It takes lees time to transfer 100GB files on a 1TB source
drive, then it does to transfer 300GB files on a 1TB source drive.

It's unlikely the drive is chock full. But... you tell us.

My suspicion is, either the PC port is USB2, or the disk
drive adapter card inside the enclosure is USB2,
and USB2 does around 35MB/sec.

35MB/sec * 12600 seconds = 441000MB =~ 441GB, source drive half full.

If you tell us the quantity of files, we can apply
arithmetic to determine how your rate is capped.

Â*Â* Paul

could you not have just used your imagination ? ....