Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Glasses for close-up work?

On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 10:13:22 -0000, "wasbit"
wrote:

snip

If you watch the repair shop on BBC1, Steve Fletcher, the horologist, uses a
pair of additional flip down magnifying lenses for close work.

Yes, I've seen the show and seen him using 'something' but not sure if
what he does is what I 'mainly' need such for?

eg. He generally sits and stays at a bench for reasonably long periods
and works on very fine things (watch / clock parts).

For me it's *also* the need to be able to walk about (within my
workshop or workshop to house and back) whilst either still wearing
said magnification (as I have done with my x4 glasses) or be able to
flip them out of the way (rather than take them off, put them down and
risk damaging them (in the workshop especially)) but leaving my std
glasses in place (as Steve does but possibly with a different use /
move ratio). eg, He would probably sit there for some time taking a
clock to bits, before moving it all over to a cleaning tank, then
polishing, then back to the bench for some time for re-assembly. [1]

I would be working in the workshop (just using my readers) but then
need to do something for 5 mins that requires a more detailed view but
in between those moments, want to beck to a more general view with the
readers. In the past I have used a magnifying glass or sheet for those
close-up view (checking how well my cleaning is going etc) but that
means I can't use both hands to hold stuff and hold stuff out of the
way or clean further.

Now, I might also need to sit at a bench and do really fine work
(surface mount components etc) and so ideally, and if I was spending
reasonable money on something, whatever I got would deal with that as
well. Or such a single solution may not be viable in which case I'd
have to get a couple of 'different' ones.

Lots on Ebay & Amazon. Different magnifications & cheap enough to experiment
with.

But rather than ending up with a draw full of failed experiments, I
thought it might be more efficient to ask the panel and therefore
potentially narrow it down a bit (and I have, thanks). ;-)

It was *after* being swamped by solutions on the likes of eBay and
Amazon that I asked here. ;-)

Cheers., T i m

[1] When I was just starting work at as trainee technician my mate was
an apprentice watchmaker and he was the one who told me the
watchmakers and jewellers often sat really low with their faces just
above the line of the bench. ;-)