Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default traditional ropes

On Tuesday, November 3, 2020 at 11:32:44 AM UTC, TimW wrote:
On 03/11/2020 02:33, williamwright wrote:
On 02/11/2020 16:51, TimW wrote:
From pallet wood provisionally.

You will be complicit in the clearance of tropical forests! (It's
surprisingly nice wood though. I have a stack of pallets and the wood
comes in very useful.)

Bill

I have been slowly learning how to get them apart without splitting the
wood. Do you have any good techniques?

I have found cutting through nails and punching them out much easier
than trying to extract them whole or to prise the pieces apart, but I
have run out of old blunt hand saws to do the job with. They become
toothless and too blunt after a bit. Some people use a power saw - a
sabre saw? but I don't have one.

TW

There are some techniques shown on the web - you knock out the middle
blocks and then tidy up the rest. I have done this for a few pallets with
a small sledgehammer + bolster chisel, and a 'wrecking bar'. Works OK.

For large quantities there is a tool called a 'pallet buster' - again, easily
searched for. You can buy these although welding one up yourself would
be in the right spirit...