Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Safety standards for toys

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 00:34:22 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 03/11/2020 10:25, T i m wrote:
Why not just use common sense?

Because I'm not sure it's always the case, especially when being
tested in the courts.

This is DIY, not manufacturing. Who can say who made a particular item?

The owner, when pushed to it in court.

Daughter had a TY80 mini trials bike when she was about 10 and it was
very difficult to find places for her to ride it, not because people /
land owners were worried about what damage she might do to the land
(it was a trials bike, not a motocrosser so more about ups and downs
than speed and jumps) but us suing them if she got caught up in some
barbed wire or hit a obscured tree stump ... even if we offered to
sign a disclaimer sating we would take full responsibility (and I'm
not sure you can do that in any case).

There are loads of jobs I've not taken on, simply because I didn't
want to be put in the position of responsibility for doing something
that could end up being dangerous for others, even if the person I was
doing it for was ok themselves.

You fix their TV but with the proviso the wall mount fixings are now
unreliable (but it isn't an issue because they are using the stand).
Then they give the TV to their friend and the TV falls off the wall
and kills their kid. Do you think the person you fixed the TV for
would take responsibility, if it was looked into and found to have
been 'tampered with'?

Cheers, T i m