Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Safety standards for toys

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 02:34:09 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 02/11/2020 21:26, wrote:
It's the time of year when many of us start thinking about making toys
for kids and grandkids (and then panic in 4 weeks because there's been
no progress!) so I was just looking around for detailed safety spec
guidance and was surprised that a copy of EN71.1 is freely available
he
https://law.resource.org/pub/eu/toys/en.71.1.2014.html
If you're not familiar with ENs they can be slightly hard going but, in
this case, the general principles are given in Annex 2 of the "toys
Directive". The Directive is tough but the annex is fairly easy going:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...9L0048&from=EN

Hope that's some use to someone other than me.

Why not just use common sense?

Because I'm not sure it's always the case, especially when being
tested in the courts.

You design and make a wooden log carrying toy truck / trailer for your
sensible and careful young niece / nephew and use 1/8" diameter dowels
to support the logs on the trailer as they are 1) reasonably in scale
for that job and 2) more than adequate to do the job.

The niece / nephew takes it to the playgroup and some other kid trips,
falls on it and takes their eye out on said upright.

You now find yourself in court and having to justify your competency
to design and make such a dangerous toy and what safety standard you
followed during it's design?

The Mrs used to work in a large educational suppliers (producing the
yearly catalogue that used to fill two artic trailers) and they sold
cheap plastic storage boxes and very (comparatively) expensive plastic
storage boxes.

Both were fine for storing all sorts of things but only one was tested
not to split and trap a child's foot when they turned it upside down
and used it as a step.

Cheers, T i m