Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safety standards for toys

On 03/11/2020 07:22, Tim+ wrote:
williamwright wrote:
On 02/11/2020 21:26, wrote:
It's the time of year when many of us start thinking about making toys
for kids and grandkids (and then panic in 4 weeks because there's been
no progress!) so I was just looking around for detailed safety spec
guidance and was surprised that a copy of EN71.1 is freely available
he
https://law.resource.org/pub/eu/toys/en.71.1.2014.html
If you're not familiar with ENs they can be slightly hard going but, in
this case, the general principles are given in Annex 2 of the "toys
Directive". The Directive is tough but the annex is fairly easy going:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...9L0048&from=EN

Hope that's some use to someone other than me.

Why not just use common sense?

Because its surprisingly uncommon. ;-)

I mean, just as an example, whoever though that a babys cot with bars far
enough apart for a babys body to fit through (but not its head) was a good
idea?

With the benefit of hindsight some faults are obvious but seemed to elude
everyone until a problem occurred.

Indeed. Car windows that wind up by standing on a child sized lever,
with the ignition off.

Wind Turbines as a source of electricity.

Marxism as a viable political theory.

The world is full of stupidity. Darwin of course says that it doesn't
matter how miserable impoverished or enslaved you are, provided
you manage to produce offspring...

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)