gerry

Default BTU versus tons

On 24 Jun 2004 12:49:57 -0400, wrote:

gerry wrote:

No. A Btu is a unit of energy, which has nothing to do with time.

A ton is a measure of heat power, ie a rate of energy flow over time.

Asa used in the HVAC industry, both are power, that is they have ebergy
tranfered over a time period.

Asa misused :-) We still need an ebergy unit to talk about things like
storing coolth overnight in an ice tank or the heating value of
a gallon of oil...

I see, a moronic idiot with nothing better to do... If you has stopped
with the ":-)" I might feel otherwise. It's amazing how many morons never
consider that somebody might have a vision impairment and cut some slack
for a bad night.

On the internet, nobody knows you are blind :-)

Congrats on your (spellchecker?) improved paragraph.

Impairment does not imply blind or consistency, moronic, narrow minded
arrogance strikes again!

Would you use the same unit for an air conditioner rating?

No. That's really Btu PER HOUR.

However true that all units are commonly explicitly used in engineering
and science, in common field practice, time units are commonly implied
with heating & cooling devices.

Sure... And landscapers need so many "yards" of dirt, and
"PV consultant" George Ghio measures resistors in amps...
But it's still wrong, wrong, wrong.

Nick

And your still wrong, wrong, wrong. In your fun, you didn't specify the
molecular makeup and temperature of your gallon of oil. Thus, in the
strict sense, it is meaningless. Of course, you clipped a whole list of
items whose parameters are customarily omitted. Try actually fitting 125
cu-ft of water into a 125 cu-ft compressed gas cylinder! Both DOT and the
compressed gas industry commonly omits gas compression in their
specifications.

Units, and sometimes material, are implied all the time. Soil is often
invoiced in yards. I have never seen a resistor's resistance specified in
amps though I have seen negative temperature coefficient resistive devices
with a maximum surge amperage specification.

Using a unit of measurement with missing parameters is not incorrect if
the context implies the absent parameters.

gerry

--

Personal home page -
http://gogood.com