Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Generator cover for running generator

On 28/10/2020 18:47, David wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 16:13:33 +0000, Spike wrote:

On 28/10/2020 15:42, David wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 14:29:26 +0000, Spike wrote:
On 28/10/2020 12:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 12:09:28 +0000, Spike wrote:

Use this Latent Heat of Melting by employing a liquid that is frozen
at the normal freezer internal temperature, say -18degC, but which
melts at perhaps -15 degC, using that Latent Heat of Melting to keep
the freezer contents at that temperature.

Some freezers have large sealed "ice blocks" already. The old
fridge/freezer had two about 9 x 15 x 1 inches(*). The up right
freezer has one about 15 x 5 x 1 inches, along with a few standard
cool box ones.

That's about 2 x 2.2 litres for the larger ones and 1.2 litres for the
smaller. The problem is that they might contain only gelled water, so
they would operate at about 0 degC, not quite what the OP was looking
for as not being very useful for a freezer, but could be glycol-based
and operate at some indeterminate temperature that may or may not be
appropriate.

With the DIY approach I suggested you can within limits set your own
'temperature control' rather than rely on something indeterminate.

The small cheapo chest freezer doesn't but then it is a "basics"
model... The replacement but frost free fridge freezer doesn't but I
guess it could be buried away inside somewhere or as it's a newer
device has better insulation and doesn't need the extra help to meet
the required "without power cold time".

Might be an idea for the OP to check the specs for his freezer, it
could save his faffing about with a generator...

(*) They didn't go to the fridge/freezer dump...

LOL

I am taking a very pessimistic view of the worst case scenario for
Brexit.

This includes major interruptions to mains power supplies.

erm...your original post was a requirement for /short/ power outages!

I'm not sure that Brexit time-scales imply 'short'...

For selected values of "short" :-)

Brexit should reduce power poutages as we will no longer be bound to the
renewable obligation, Of course that will need a PM who isn't shagging
an eco bunny, but that may come to pass, yet.

Cheers

Dave R

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching