Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solid fuel stove

On 29/10/2020 11:07, Theo wrote:
Chade wrote:
We have a smallholding and a few years ago someone tried to sell us a
central heating boiler system that could be powered by wood chippings.
The idea being that scrubby woodland could be cleared, chipped and the
chippings used to power a 'fed' boiler. We never tried to go forward with
it but the salesman seemed to think that there was various grants and
subsidies that would make it very cheap.

Surely such chippings would be green and would need drying out before you
could burn them?

Be interesting to know how much chipping you'd get per unit of scrubby
woodland - there's not a great amount of wood in typical bushes.

Theo

My experience is that about 60% pof the trees I have to fell or that
fall down here are not suitable for burning in normal stoves. As ot
stands I have a pile of about 19 cubic meters of dross that is now
probably too big to be a bonfire, and I still have a downed tree and all
the hedges to cut - and nowhere to store yet another tree...
I think those wood chip boilers can take it green and they act as driers..

I may yet get a chipping machine and turn that useless pile of small
bracnches into mulch...

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus