Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solid fuel stove

On 29/10/2020 00:02, Chade wrote:
On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 12:33:31 PM UTC-4, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 28/10/2020 10:58, Tim+ wrote:
Theo wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
Yep, not sure what the OP is really after. Screw feed stoves
are designed for heating water, not to look pretty or to
provide room heating. A €śrocket€ť stove maybe with a chute to
feed fuel in?

This sort of thing: http://woodpelletstove.co.uk/

I stand corrected! Never knew such things existed.

They are more ornamental that functional though. 5.5kW max output.

The tie in to expensive compressed wood pellets puts me right off.

Unless your house is super insulated it is never going to power
the central heating system. It might perhaps warm one room
adequately.

-- Regards, Martin Brown

At the risk of causing more confusion after my hamfisted editing...

We have a smallholding and a few years ago someone tried to sell us a
central heating boiler system that could be powered by wood
chippings. The idea being that scrubby woodland could be cleared,
chipped and the chippings used to power a 'fed' boiler. We never
tried to go forward with it but the salesman seemed to think that
there was various grants and subsidies that would make it very
cheap.

If you were in Northern Ireland there was a scheme that would give you
money proportional to the amount of fuel you burned no questions asked.
The infamous ash for cash scandal which brought down the NI government.

Don't underestimate the volume of wood you will be burning if you are
relying on it entirely for heating. I get through about 3T a year. It is
cheaper than oil CH particularly when you have a source of free wood.

What I am trying to do at the moment is just sort out a normal
stove.

You basically need to tell us what you think is normal then. What power
and what sort of cosmetic appearance. I went for a single large window
and clean design lines which is more expensive but looks much nicer.

Mine is a Charnwood with a back boiler to power the CH and HW, a self
cleaning front window which almost works and smart air mix control. The
back boiler adds a lot to the price but makes it more useful for me.

You pretty much have to have them professionally installed because they
are incredibly heavy and the process involves lining the chimney and
possibly drilling a big hole in the wall for ventilation.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown