Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default diy hydraulic fittings?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:23:05 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

Talking to an old motorcycle mechanic the other day and he said he'd
often used ATF in forks and it worked well?

ATF is the same sort of stuff and probably very similar viscosity.

OK. I've not played with ATF much, only ever adding it to the auto box
on our 1300 Mk1 Escort. ;-)

There's perhaps not quite the same scope for foaming as in forks.

True, I'd imagine it would get pretty 'busy' in there, especially on
more bumpy roads.

I try to look upon such things is that the manufacturers probably put
a fair bit of effort of tweaking the characteristics of this hardware
(even though it might be used across a range of different vehicles,
albeit that they would probably all share similar roles, like
'commuter' or 'offroad' bikes) and therefore it would be sensible or
respectful to follow their guidance. That said, these vehicles can be
used by a range of people (weights, riding styles, goods carrying) and
in a wide range of climates that might all need catering for, to
maintain the original functionality.

A classic example of people generally making things worse is those who
dump the factory exhaust (optimised for all sorts of things across the
entire rev range) and replace it for something that is 'lighter' (when
they could same loads more by going on a diet) or better because it's
louder' (when it's actually worse, if not Dyno'd in etc). ;-(

snip

I'll probably get mine back on the road as well as I like to have at
least one bike available, just in case ... and it's nice to have a
pootle round the B roads. You get some nice dry days, even in the
winter and she's bound to want to go for a little ride out with her
old Dad. ;-)

I don't often feel tempted to get another bike, I get my kicks (as it
were) from horses these days.

I think if you have ever had a bike, especially from a kid (first
motorised transport etc, rarely the case these days probably) it's
difficult to be without one.

I'm lucky as apart from commuting to college on my moped(s) and then
BT on my Lambretta scooter for a bit (there was a railway crossing and
being on a bike meant you could *always* get across on the first
opening when it might take several goes in a car), I've only really
used my bikes for the odd trip when it was likely to be faster
(traffic) or in the early days, more economic (fuel costs) and
recreation. Going somewhere on the / a bike for a change, like
motorcycle touring / camping.

However having been dumped on a rock the
other day leaving me with a very bruised glute I do sometimes wonder.

Yeah, there do seem to be some quite nasty injuries from people being
thrown / falling from horses (helicopter rescue as there are rarely on
the high street) but there are probably loads more associated from
biking, even if equally not always the riders fault (someone pulling
out without looking like a horse being spooked etc).

From a vegans POV, ignoring the general moral aspect of 'not
exploiting animals for any reason', I would put the idea of a light
person riding a large horse at a rate the horse enjoyed and over
terrain the horse found easy / enjoyable and given all the pampering
and care they might also enjoy, that would be well down the list ...
and certainly well below horse racing and jumping etc.

I think any arguments against could be countered to some degree by the
idea of increasing the animals enrichment, over what it might
experience if it was doing it's own thing in the wild.

Daughters rescue terrier seems 'game' to climb / jump up / over
anything ... and often climbing stuff taller than me. We first learned
this when we took him to dog training and whilst being the worst
behaved dog there (and certainly the noisiest) he seemed more than
willing to try all the agility equipment on the breaks. 7' tall ramps,
see-saw, tunnels ... you only had to point him at and he'd do them,
not quite so good at the zig-zag thing. In contrast, the lurcher we
are currently providing convalescence to has no interest in any of
that sort of thing and just wants to run.

The good news is how many dogs you meet that are out walking are also
'rescues'. One, a lovely Great Dane came from turkey where they clip
their ears ... ;-(

https://ibb.co/HT1Dfwy

I think it's to make them less vulnerable in a fight or when hunting?
;-(

Cheers, T i m