Colin Wilson

Default Electricity Meter

Some states require electric companies to give one free meter check
if requested every N years.

This side of the pond electricity meters are routinely replaced every
ten years.

As someone else mentioned, the period between meter changes is variable
depending on the type of meter and tariff.

Not that I've ever come across. Mine's 20 years old, and my parents'
is 40 years old.

That may be perfectly correct, but they will probably have been
recertified in the interim (at least the 40 yr old one)