Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Generator cover for running generator

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 10:10:48 +0000, T i m wrote:

I think people tend to makes drop-over lids with baffles out of dense
material (ply / chipboard) and with a mains powered input fan at the
inlet (powered by the genny), ensuring the air is kept moving in the
right direction.

I'd want a waterproof lid, to prevent rain dripping down off the fuel
tank/cover plates into the alternator or wiring, some of which is
enclosed but not by anything I'd consider water proof. As part of
guaranteeing a mild, storm free winter I ought to make something...
I've off cuts of onduline that would do for the top. Yes I know not
exactly fire proof but it'd be well away from the hot bit's like
exhuast.

I've always hankered after one of the Honda suitcase genny's but can't
justify it's cost for it's use ...

Yeah, I'd really like a 2 kVA one. I've used then for work on
ocassion, they are wonderfully quiet, light (one arm carry) and
produce "proper" mains. But I'll have to live with my fing noisey,
heavy (as in glued to the ground), diesel set. Being diesel I can at
least run it on red, instead of paying nearly 60p/l of road fuel
duty.

--
Cheers
Dave.