Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default TV and Hi-Fi

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 27/10/2020 18:31, Max Demian wrote:
On 27/10/2020 18:16, pinnerite wrote:
I am not sure if this is the correct NG but here goes.
I have a vintage Techics Hi-fi system that has stood idle since the
arrival of widescreen TV, mainly because it is on the opposite side of
the room.

The TV is connected to a computer that runs Mythtv an serves as an
HTPC.
It has a cheap 3-speaker pc system that is an improvement on the TV's
speaker but is in no way "good".

We plan to move and I wondered if the hi-fi system could be geared to
the
TV and /or computer. I am uncertain as to the best way to connect up.

Inputs to tha ampifier are all phono sockets.

The question is, what audio outputs the TV has (if any). Some "modern"
TVs don't have an audio output, or only optical, but you can get HDMI
adapters to extract the audio from one of the TV sockets I think.

My Sony has a 3.5mm jack socket, and it can be configured (through the
menus) to act as a line output rather than for a headphone, but the
headphone output should work all right, as the mismatch in level
compensates for the mismatch in impedance.

When I lived in a much smaller house with my settee only about 4 feet from
the (14") TV, I had my hi-fi unit next to the TV, and took a line-out feed
from the VCR to the hi-fi, and listened using wired headphones. This was
because the sound circuit and speaker in the TV were fairly poor - and
anyway they were mono because the TV predated NICAM. I very rarely, if ever,
had the volume turned up on the TV.

One thing that was interesting was to play the sound of ITV
(Southern/Meridian) through the TV and sound from ITV (Thames/LWT) through
the hi-fi and headphones - I could receive from both regions - and there was
a time lag that was just perceivable, especially on the "bongs" of News at
Ten. Nowadays, with fully digital feed to the transmitters and from the
transmitters to the TV, I imagine that the time difference might be *much*
greater depending on buffering.