Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Generator cover for running generator

On 27 Oct 2020 16:41:33 GMT, David wrote:

One item was to be able to run a small generator to keep the freezer
going ...

"small generator" How big is small? The small 750 W two stroke
jobbies can struggle with freezers/fridges as they don't have enough
welly to start the compressor motor.

... in the event of a short power cut.

Define "short". The DNO's are pretty good at bringing people back on
supply by altering the distribution switching. The chances are a
power cut will only be an hour or two. If you just happen to be in
the section with the fault it might take a while longer but probably
less than 12 hours. Strangely 12 hours off supply is when most
compensation kicks in...

A modern freezer, even opened once or twice to quickly grab
something, won't be particulary bothered for 12 hours, maybe longer.

There are lots of generator covers on Amazon for under £20 but it is
not clear to me if they can be left over the generator whilst it is
running.

Are they heat/fire proof? How do the exhaust gases get out? Good flow
of cooling air in? They all look nice covers for a plain rectangular
box. But when running you'll have the CEE output connector sticking
out somwhere...

Trying to remember what I did, if anything, the last time I needed
the genset and it was raining. I suspect it wasn't much more than a
bit of weighted down poly sheet covering the top and down the exposed
side over the connector/control panel and down the exposed end. Oh
look there's the rountuit to build a generator cover/shelter. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.