Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default diy hydraulic fittings?

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 12:26:57 +0000, newshound
wrote:

snip

On my GPZ550 it has hydraulic anti-dive. When you operate the front
brake it actions a piston in a bypass valve on the fork legs that
prevents the damper oil going past the damper itself and so stops the
fork from diving. Also it has 'air assisted' front suspension (you
pump it up).

I was forgetting that with these new fangled hydraulic brakes on bikes
it's relatively easy to add a second actuator.

Well, I guess some might call the early 80's 'new fangled'. ;-)

Damned clever, these Japs.

They have certainly be good at getting stuff out there, knowing it
made sense, even if isn't 'typical' of the time. As soon as they did
the killed the British Bike industry as we failed to do that looking
ahead ... ;-(

(Cue Peter Sellers in Dr Strangelove, "The swine! Funny thing is they
make such bloody good cameras")

;-)

It also has a complex rear suspension linkage (Uni-trak) that provides
'anti squat' (the back sinking down on acceleration) so it was quite
technically advanced tool in it's day. ;-)

Although of course that doesn't prevent the weight transfer to the back
wheel

Indeed, as anti dive doesn't to the front, it just feels 'flatter' for
the rider. There was a marked difference in both when comparing my BMW
R100RT (sorts tourer) and her Yamaha XV750 (custom cruiser). Because
hers was much lower, you didn't seem to get anything like the dive /
squat of the BMW.

snip

Whilst the UK roads are bad, they aren't quite that bad so I think
some of it can be a bit suck it and see (within some constraints).

Agreed. If it really made such a difference you would use a multi-grade,
or change the grade from summer to winter.

Good point.

I guess since the quantities
are small they probably have a high viscosity index, perhaps even Group
V synthetics.

https://www.silkolene.com/motorcycle...-fluids/rsf-5/

That's (or it's the latest variant of) what I used on daughters front
forks, doesn't give you a list of ingredients, only that it's ISO22.

OOI, does that mean that I could use 'any' oil that complied to ISO22
(average viscosity 22 @ 40DegC etc) or is that just an umbrella term
(because of the additives I believe you have mentioned previously)?

Cheers, T i m