Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default diy hydraulic fittings?

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 22:33:59 +0000, AJH
wrote:

snip

I think the pumps come with a 1/2" male (looks tapered) outlet and so
I'd need a mating female to whatever I was working on, in the case of
most motorbikes, a 'banjo' connection of some sort.

I still use reusable fittings for repairs, they're good up to 200bar

More than enough! ;-)

https://www.whitehouseproductsltd.co...ES/R010404.jpg

Thanks.

The ferrule has a ******* thread which you wind on the hose, there are
different types depending on whether you skive off the outer rubber
first or not or how many steal braid layers the hose has, you then wind
the coupling in and the taper grips the hose to the ferrule.

So no need for an outer crimp / ferrule or is there still one?

They are deprecated by the hydraulics engineers whose code of practice
does not allow them to repair hoses but only supply a new hose with new
swaged fittings.

Understood. This would only be for the odd thing like this where I
have always wanted something more powerful (than ear) and more
controlled (than air) and for £12 for the hand pump and reservoir
(plus some adaptors), I thought it was worth the cost / effort setting
something up (even this late in my life). ;-)

We currently have 7 motorcycles in various states of readiness and
several cars so there is a 'good chance' I will be able to make use of
something like this in the future (as might mates etc).

I'll have to have a measure up and see if the motorcyles tend to use
the same size banjo connector and if so, I might just need one 'tail'
(1/2" female to banjo) adaptor (and it doesn't matter if it isn't a
perfect fit, as long as I can seal it for the job).

Cheers, T i m