Arulmozhi

Default Home buying dilemma

It's an issue if you have to have a fireplace.

Not an issue for me. I am thinking about the lack of it being a show
stopper when I am trying to sell it back 10-15 years from now.

How about the lack of a garage? I view this as mostly a nuisance but
one that I am ready to put up with. I think this is currently priced
into the house but does the rate of price appreciation depend on the
presence/absence of a garage?

That depends on what is common where the house is. Do all the other
house have garages?

Like I said most houses on the street save for this and another one
have garages. However there are streets nearby where houses have sold
$100K more than this one without garages. It sometimes boggles my
mind that people in New England are willing to buy houses in the
$450k-$500k range without a garage!!! I feel like I am from a
different planet here in New England. Prior to moving here I lived in
Salt Lake City and then Pittsburgh. When I lived in those cities I
would not even have considered buying a house without a garage. But
here in the price range I am looking it is optional unfortunately. My
thought process is that for someone who wants to move into this street
(very expensive) but can't pony up the cash for a median home on this
street, this home although it has some negatives like not having a
garage would be an entry point. Am I crazy to think this way?

The fact that the house has been on the market for over a year with
progressive price reductions with no takers scares us a lot. Why is
this house not selling?

How old is the house? Did you have it inspected?

27 years. I am certainly going to have it inspected before I sign on
the dotted line. I am very obsessed with home valuations and have
done a lot of detailed analysis and have come to the conclusion that
if this home passes home inspection without structural or safety
related issues, it is fairly priced. My only fear is the reselling
part.

Thanks very much for the replies thus far.